Tuesday, July 19, 2016

What we are up to

When I first started our homeschool journey, I was fascinated with The Power of an Hour by Donna Goff. I loved the way it was set up, the things learned, everything about it. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford it at first and then we tried a trial and guess what- for as AMAZING as it still is, it didn't fit with our schedules/needs/ADHD. I was so sad about this. If you don't have kids with ADHD and you have the time, you should totally look into it!!

A friend and I got together and used the basic set up of Power of an Hour and created our own for the second half of the school year. I'm not sure how it worked for her, but I learned that I had packed TOO much into it and expected too much out of my kids for that time. Again, ADHD plays a big part in that. I've been kind of frustrated about all of this because I STILL feel like that time in the morning and those mini lessons are important.

Skip ahead a bit to my awesome friend, Kellie. She was telling me about these podcasts she loves. One of them is called Your Morning Basket. I am silly and listened to the last one first, about math, and instantly got some GREAT ideas. I realized what I needed to do for my family. I needed to have SHORT morning time. I needed to not be doing all the talking. And it needed to be fun. I didn't even finish the whole episode (KIDS!) and already felt inspired and I can't wait to listen to all her episodes. In the next couple of blog posts, I'll be posting our preliminary schedule. I still need to come up with a way to make all the activities ahead of time and store them all so when the right week is upon me, I don't forget Sunday night and can instead just pull down the right basket/box/container. But, one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment